I am a victim of domestic abuse. How do I get a protection order, and what is the difference between a protection order and a restraining order?
In cases of domestic abuse, for example, an Order of Protection may be sought in the Pope County Circuit Court. A citizen may use their private attorney to obtain an Order of Protection or may contact the Victim Coordinator of the Pope County Prosecutor’s Office at (479) 968-8600. An Order of Protection is handled by the Prosecutor’s Office and usually issued only for cases including family or household members. A court issues orders of protection to victims of domestic violence. Orders demand that an abuser stop threatening, stalking or physically assaulting the victim. Orders often demand that an abuser also stop contacting the victim in any form, including in person, by phone or by mail.

A No Contact Order is a pre-trial order issued by a court when a charge of Harassment, Harassing Communications, or Terroristic Threatening is filed in court by a prosecutor. These Orders remain in effect until the trial date of the Defendant. Depending on the outcome of the trial, the Order may either be extended as part of a guilty judgment against the Defendant or set aside by the Court.

A restraining order is different than an Order of Protection. Restraining orders are usually issued civil cases. A restraining order is issued by a court to protect someone from threats or physical abuse. Restraining orders are different from orders of protection because restraining orders can also include provisions for property, child support, spousal maintenance and child custody when these are issues during a divorce or separation. Violations of restraining orders are enforced by the issuing court rather than through criminal prosecution in District Court.

However, a violation of an Order of Protection is a Class A Misdemeanor in the State of Arkansas, and therefore, if an Order of Protection has been issued and served on a person who subsequently violates terms of the order, the police are allowed under Arkansas law to arrest that person if they have probable cause.

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between the Pope County Prosecutor’s Office and the Russellville City Attorney’s Office?
2. What is the difference between Municipal Court and District Court?
3. I got a ticket for a minor traffic violation. Can I keep it off my driving record?
4. I am a victim of domestic abuse. How do I get a protection order, and what is the difference between a protection order and a restraining order?
5. I was beat up last night by my husband and the police charged him with domestic battery and told me to get an order of protection. I would like an order of protection.
6. Can I drop charges in a case for which I was the victim?
7. I am a victim of a crime and I want to know how I can find out information about the case?
8. What are a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) and a DUI (Driving Under the Influence)?
9. What happens if I forget my court date?
10. I have a returned check someone gave me for rent. They paid me $100 on it and said they would pay me the rest, but have not yet done so. Can I get a warrant?
11. Someone hit me and did not have insurance, although they showed the officer proof at the time. What can I do to them?
12. I have a hot check someone gave me how do I collect it?
13. How do I find out if I have a warrant?
14. Where do I pick up a police report?
15. I have a neighbor who has unlicensed or inoperative vehicles on his property, and he will not cut his grass. What can I do?
16. I am a landlord in Russellville and I have rented property to a tenant who has not paid me rent pursuant to our agreement, and I cannot get them to move out. What can I do?